Tuesday, March 31, 2015

First "Alla Prima" painting...

Just wanted to share my experience at yesterday's painting class at Visarts Richmond! Instructor, David Tanner, set up this simple (and exceptionally colorful) still life...


Then we all proceeded to "draw" with paintbrushes and the try to "nail" the color...all in under 3 hours! Here's my exploration of the still life and color...definitely not finished...in fact, barely a second pass. Aacck!! (Still life photo was taken from a slightly different angle than my view while I was painting, accounting for the change in angles.) 


I wasn't quite sure what I was doing...but I sure enjoyed myself and learned so much! David is so patient and really knows color!! I spent a really long time with drawing and underpainting...which, unfortunately, left very, very little time to really explore the subtle colors and plane changes within each color. I'll be working on that before next week's class! And that's it for me!


No comments: